Sunday 22 June 2014

Issues in teaching and learning Science

Problems I faced in the learning of Science

1. I could not tell the difference between a Scientific law and a Scientific theory. To overcome this problem, I did some online research and finally understood the difference.

Scientific Law: This is a statement of fact meant to explain, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. It is generally accepted to be true and universal, and can sometimes be expressed in terms of a mathematical equation. They explain what will occur in a given circumstance.

Scientific Theory: A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. They explain facts and, sometimes, laws.

A law governs a single action, whereas a theory explains an entire group of related phenomena.

2. I had problems with units conversion and faced difficulties in the term 2 class quiz on physical quantities. To overcome this problem, I tried worksheets on unit conversion but still had doubts on my abilities. I am still facing this problem today but I will try my very best to ace units conversion.
Here is a video found on Youtube demonstrating how to convert units easily.
 
Scientific concepts I have learnt
 
1. Organisation
2. Structure and function
3. Systems
4. Cause and effect
5. Attitudes
 
How are these knowledge and skills useful and relevant to the real world?
 
As a student, organisation is really important as I have a lot of notes. If I do not organise my notes properly, I might not be able to find it at a crucial moment such as when I need it to revise for my exams. I need to have the attitude of being meticulous so I can refer to my notes easily. I should also have the attitude of integrity by not copying my friends work. The knowledge of structure and function helps me as when my friend has a bone fracture, I will understand which part of his body is not functioning properly due to the fracture and how I can help him. Understanding systems also help me understand simplest of things such as the heat change of boiling water when ice is submerged in it.
 
What I have learnt which is beyond my textbook/notes knowledge?
1. I found out that there are 5 states of matter, 2 more than the 3 I know of. The 5 states are gaseous, liquid, solid, plasma and Bose-Einstein condensate. These further piqued my curiosity in Science and I went on to find out its structure. (Kinetic Particle Theory)
 
2. I learnt that clocks from the olden days use the concept of pendulums to tell time as the pendulum never stops swinging, so it will be able to tell time correctly. Most watches we use now use batteries and it might slow down in the future.
 
3. I learnt that the phones now are able to store 64 Giga bytes of data, some even more! That's 10^9! All that data is stored in a tiny microchip that will be inserted into the phone. This made me more interested in prefixes.
 
Fun videos:D
To watch more videos, simply click here > AsapSCIENCE
Thank you for reading! 
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment