Monday 23 June 2014

Reflections on Science performances and experiences

Termly Science Performance
My target is to get A1 for all my Science exams.

My plan to achieve target
1. I have to listen attentively in class
2. Be an inquisitive learner
3. Ask when in doubt
4. Revise consistently
5. Persevere to ace the subject

Improvements
1. I need to read and understand the question better before understanding. To do this, I will analyse the question carefully before answering to prevent any careless loss of marks.

2. I need to understand and revise the topics more consistently and thoroughly before the exams so I will have an ease of mind when answering as I had already revised it before.

3. I need to use key words when answering the questions to prevent careless loss of marks. When answering in the common test, I did not use key words thus losing marks although I knew the answer. I will try memorizing key words found in my notes so that I can ace my tests.

Reflection on Science experiences

Name of activity: Basic lab orientation
Venue: Science lab
reference: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/1-bunsen-burner-flame-.jpg

reference: http://www.scienceprofonline.com/images/science-image-library/microbiology/equipment/bunsen-burner-adjusting-flame-SIL.jpg

 reference:http://joashpoh.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/img_0063.jpg

What I have learnt from the activity
I learnt how to properly use a bunsen burner and how to change the flame from luminous to non-luminous and back. I learnt about the different lab equipments such as the burette and pipette and what their used for. I also learnt what to do when a "strike-back" occurs when lighting a bunsen burner. I think this activity was an eye-opener for me as this is my first time in the school lab, which is spacious and well-ventilated.

What do you like most and least about the activity?
I liked the fact that we were able to turn on the bunsen burner ourselves and observe how the flames turn from luminous to non-luminous.
I disliked memorizing the different lab equipments as there is a wide range of equipments.

What do you learn about your partner from the activity?
I learnt that my partner, Enoch, is actually a person who can project a calm demeanor when faced with adversity. We were unable to light the bunsen burner for the first few times and i was very anxious as most of my classmates have already done so. However, my partner was calm and we finally managed to light the bunsen burner.

Reflections on Science experiments

Name of activity: Making observations
Venue: Science lab

references: http://jonathonscienceblog1i3.wordpress.com/

What I have learnt from the activity
I learnt about the differences between an inference and an observation. I also learnt that when I have to make a lot of observations, it is really helpful to organize them into a table or graph for further manipulation. I learnt a lot of new terms from our Science teacher Mr Tan such as effervescence. I also learnt about the difference between mean, mode and median.

What do you like most and least about the activity?
I like observing the chemical reactions between sodium carbonate and vinegar as it was really cool to see the effervescence of the gas and the sodium carbonate dissolving.
I disliked dripping the methylated spirit on my hand as it felt cool and awkward. I did not like the feeling of it.

What did you learnt about your partner from the activity?
I realized that my partner, Enoch, is really fun and engaging. He helped me a lot with the experiments such as pouring the vinegar to a depth of 1cm, which was really hard.

Reflections on Science experiments
Name of activity: Boiling Point of water
Venue: Science lab
   
reference: http://benaiahhoong.wix.com/scienceporfolio

What I have learnt from the activity
I learnt that we should read the readings of the thermometer at eye level to prevent parallax error. I also learnt about what to do if I accidentally break the thermometer a it is hazardous and poisonous. 

What I liked and disliked about the activity
I liked watching the temperature of the thermometer rising as I found it intriguing. I could also try to plot a temperature over time graph on the thermometer.
I disliked handling the thermometer as there is mercury inside and I am afraid of breaking it.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment